Welcome - Please Login or Register !

:o

Board index Playstation 3 Reviews

Reviews

Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

Postby TwistedSystem » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:15 am

Well, after completing the first Metal Gear Solid only moments ago I have come to write my first review. I’m writing a review about all four games in the order I complete them and this shall be my first of four. Before I begin I have a few things to say. First, this is my first review ever so be nice. Second, since this is a PS1 game I am not taking graphics into consideration as I never owned a console from that gen (excluding a game boy colour) and compared to a ps3 it just can’t compare. Third, I played this on the regular difficulty, I didn’t play it on easy and I didn’t play it on hard.

My first section is all about story. All I can say is, wow. This game has made me look back at ever other game I have ever played and realize that they are crap in this department. With every encounter the plot seems to thicken, leaving more questions unanswered. It adds tons of plot twists and keeps your attention throughout the entire game. You just want more, you need to know the answer to something but before they tell you, they add in more twists, more unanswered questions. Things that make you want to play and play and play, just to find the answer, to uncover the truth. You get something answered now and then but then you beat the game and after the credits they lay the biggest plot twist yet. Now I am stuck here typing this fricking review when all I want to do is start the next game and dive into its plot. This game has the most in depth and entertaining storyline I have ever seen.

This next section is about the most important one, gameplay. As you all should know this is a stealth action game not a shooter. With that being said, the game creators try and make you play it using stealth. They designed it so you’re forced into sneaking. This may sound stupid and restricting when really, they did a great job on it. Basically you have an overhead screen of snake being able to see just a bit in front and behind you. They do allow you to see around corners when you take cover by a corner, allowing you to see if the cost is clear. You don’t have a reticule so shooting can be challenging. When you shoot, you shoot in front of snake but it’s easy to be just a little bit off of your target. You can hold triangle and go into first person mode but you can’t aim or shoot in that mode. You control your items by selecting which item by flipping through a menu brought up by the left trigger and turn it on or off with the left bumper. The game pauses when the small menu is brought up so you don’t get found and killed. The same goes for your weapons but using the right trigger and bumper. When you have your weapon flipped off you attack bare handed. Most items can be on and you attack bare handed except the cardboard box. They also added in a radar which allows you to track enemy movements that are close to snake. This can really help but it can also doesn’t show too far ahead, making you be very cautious. You can run, walk crouch and crawl and the control scheme couldn’t be easier.

This section is about little things and big things that add to the game. The first of which would be your health. Basically they made it so you don’t want to be getting into a gunfight. You start out with a very small portion of health so it forces you to sneak. You get a health upgrade after every boss but the next boss usually has twice as much health so it doesn’t matter any way. Another thing they added in was puzzle like things and things you have to figure out. They don’t have a huge impact but some can be difficult to figure out, making you find items in other areas or head all the way back to the armoury. Some things you need to figure out are just strategies to get past one part. The best thing they added in to make the game so enjoyable was the boss. Each one is so worked up and ever fight seems so epic, with a nice cut scene intro and ending to each, a small encounter with a character seems like a lot. The bosses are well done and very fun. They also added in a lot of bosses which all further the storyline. The bonuses are simple, yet fun. They added in 10 VR training missions as a tutorial and allow you to go back and play a time attack mode with them after you beat them all. Its an optional tutorial and I only did it today. They also give you an explanation of the original Metal Gear games story in a previous operations section, which help you understand what happened before. Playing those games is not necessary at all to understand anything in Metal Gear Solid but it was nice that they added them in. They even had a good sense of humour in the game, whether it was the way Psycho Mantis “moved” your controller with his powers or snakes happy reply to the question, “and you killed big boss even knowing he was your father?”

Now enough praising, this section is about the bad things this game contains. Believe it or not, I could only think of one problem, the length. I beat the game in nine hours and that doesn’t seem very long to me. I also wish it was a bit more challenging but I didn’t play it on the hardest difficulty so I can’t count that against the game.

All in all, Metal Gear Solid may be a PS1 original game but it may also be the most enjoyable game I have ever played. I really got into it and I saw why people claim it’s the best PS1 game ever. The ending was also very well done but I heard there was a crappy ending if you gave in to torture at one part, which I didn’t. The only thing that brings it down is its length. All in all Metal Gear Solid gives you a very addicting game, not only for its gameplay but also for its story. It just wouldn’t be as good without that story. I loved this game and it will be a classic in my collection, beating most, if not all of my ps3 games.

I award this game 9.2/10.

Thank you for reading my review and I know its long but I just couldn’t stop writing about this amazing experience called Metal Gear Solid.
TwistedSystem

Re: Metal Gear Solid

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:05 am

Bravo Bravo you would make aussie proud......

Postby TwistedSystem » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:50 pm

krazykat wrote:Bravo Bravo you would make aussie proud......

What?
TwistedSystem

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:08 pm

LoL aussie is this insane reviewer who has reviewed like 20 games. And his reviews are as long as yours.

Postby TwistedSystem » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:22 pm

Well at least someone cares about my review.
TwistedSystem

Postby cloud945076 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:24 pm

great review :yeh:
cloud945076
Exotic Species

Postby fishki » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:20 pm

I care..great review :yeh: :yeh: and a long review doesnt bother me, just that much more info i have.

I give you 2 thumbs up for your first review
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent.....I never know what those fuckers are up to.
fishki
Site Admin

Postby twistedblister » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:43 pm

Great review. its funny what you loved is what chased me away. I was expecting a shoter and got a sneaker and had no idea how to get into that mind set in order to play the game.
great review.
MeatMonkeyMayhem

now i have no sig :-(
twistedblister

Postby TwistedSystem » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:44 pm

twistedblister wrote:Great review. its funny what you loved is what chased me away. I was expecting a shoter and got a sneaker and had no idea how to get into that mind set in order to play the game.
great review.

Ya I had enough shooters so I wanted a stealth game and this one came to mind. Number 4 can be played like a shooter very easily which disapointed me but you would probably like it. It was still really good but the little bit of single player that I played before quiting (not permanently) could be played as a shooter or stealth. Plus the online is great.
TwistedSystem

Postby cloud945076 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:13 am

you can pick to play it as a shooter or stalth but snakes age, makes you switch to stealth ever so often
cloud945076
Exotic Species

Postby TwistedSystem » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:27 pm

Alright cloud this is my first post since I got back and, go back to the transformer. Its just not the same.
TwistedSystem

Postby cloud945076 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:30 pm

wat transformer?
cloud945076
Exotic Species

Postby hippo99 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:13 pm

your transformer avater
I PWN!!!!!
>:0
hippo99

Postby TwistedSystem » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:16 pm

your old picture.
TwistedSystem

Postby fishki » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:22 pm

you have been gone a long long time TS, we never realized you might someday return, we feared you were lost to the world, things have changed my friend, welcome back oh long lost one
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent.....I never know what those fuckers are up to.
fishki
Site Admin

Postby TwistedSystem » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:53 pm

Uh thanks fish, it seems so weird, so alien now. I just hope ill fit in. Also officially changing the score of this game from 9.8 to 9.2 as I was in a way to good of a mood when I reviewed it.
TwistedSystem

Postby gabrile23 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:26 pm

great reveiw and i did'nt think it was that long.
gabrile23

Return to Reviews