Welcome - Please Login or Register !

:o

Board index Playstation 3 Reviews

Reviews

The Eye of Judgment (PS3)

The Eye of Judgment (PS3)

Postby Phil0926 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:40 am

Intro:

The Eye of Judgment was one of Sony's big showings at E3 2006 that dropped a few jaws and had few scratching their heads but its now 2 years later, the games been out well over a year and a half ,and its on Season 2 with 210 cards so without further ado i give you my complete review of The Eye of Judgment.

Controls:

This is going to be short and sweet. The game is played on flat surface using the Playstation Eye USB Camera that is included with it, and the cloth gaming field. The camera detects your cards and brings your creature to life on screen. End your turn, canceling an action, and showing status of a card is all done by using cards so you dont need to juggle a controller the entire round. However you can use a controller to do these things and also press R2 to show stats of a creature and the field its on. Since you dont know alot of what im talking about im going to throw the controls a 8 for working pretty well besides a few lighting issues which the game lets you manipulate to fit your situation. Now to the biggest part of the game

Gameplay:

The gameplay in Eye of Judgment, is some of the most intricate and detailed strategic gaming, I have ever experienced in my life. It combines Turn Based strategy and collectible card gameing in the best ways so ill take this time to narrow down the basics. The playing field is 9 squares made up of 3 rows like this.

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
[img][img][/img][/img]
In an official game which is what all Ranked online games play. Each field has one of the games five elements. 1 is Fire, 2 is Water ,3 is Wood, 4 is Earth, 5 is Biolith, 6 is Water, 7 is Fire, 8 is Wood, 9 is Earth. Fire and Water are weak to each other, as are Earth and Wood. Biolith however has no weakness. Anyways, the game is played using a deck of creature and spell cards. You can only have 30 cards to a deck and 3 of the same type of card (1 if the card specifies so which is the case for Hero, Betrayer, Noble and Warlord cards).A creature has a set mana cost, an activation cost, sometimes a written effect, and of course health and attack. The game is played like most standard card games you get 2 mana at the beginning of each turn and you draw 5 cards, each following turn you get an additional 2 mana and 1 card. Each turn is split into the 5 basic phases of most card games. Move, Cast, Summon, Resolution, and End. If you do Summon, you skip Move and Cast and it goes right to Resolution and End. The mana given to you can be used to Summon and Cast and once a creature has been summoned out on the field you may pay mana to attack or rotate the creature using the activation cost which are are part of your Move phase.. The object of the game is to either get 5 cards on the field or make your opponent run out of cards. Summoning creatures to a field with matching element will always give them a 2 health bonus, but put them on a field of the opposite element and they receive -2 health (also if each field has an underside that can be flippedusing spells and if your creature is on a matching field, and its flipped to a opposite element they lose 4 health instead of just 2). In most cases a 5 card win will occur more frequently. Because there are so many additional elements to the gameplay, it would take me all day to explain so ill just point out that there is a lot of different aspects to cards like race, affiliation, and special effects that all can work in combos giving the game so many different options of play for everyone. Gameplay gets a 9, its pretty stellar for a strategy game, and the online communities are huge, competitive, and are one of the most fun, mature, and supportive communities of a game I have ever played and I spent a good portion of 8 years playing MMORPGs. This game is just tops HOWEVER NOTE: The single player experience here is more or less a training for the online matches DO NOT BUY THIS GAME EXPECTING A STORY MODE. If you are then this game will be a 6 tops but if your into Competitive online gaming 9. Theres a few little BS modes like a paper rock scissor mode, and a mode that lets you put your hand under the camera with a card in it and it comes to life and you can poke it and drag it to a little circle to find info about it but all the fun ends there in about 2 minutes. Also note ONLINE MODE REQUIRES YOU TO REGISTER EVERY CARD IN YOUR DECK UNDER THE CAMERA. This is because it makes sure no one cheats online, however this also means the computer draws your cards for you, and though its a pain to dig through your deck to find cards the computer draws you wont care since it eliminates cheating. I would also like to point out that its mentioned in a lot of professional reviews that cards can be printed and used well from experience of playing this game online for 4 months i will tell you that either no one prints cards or the prints stopped working, because there is huge Trade By Mail communities and cards going for ridiculous amount of money on E-Bay. So my score still stands as a 9 in this field.

Graphics:

This is one part of the Eye of Judgment that i have to give two scores. If you play a lot of single player offline matches with friends and have Animations turned on the visuals are nice and crisp. The Animations are fluid, the boards are well done. Everything is nice and with Animations i give it an 8. However online not many people play with Animations on due to the increased time it takes and because of that i got to at least knock off a point or 2. Ill say 6.5 the boards are still beutiful but since its the same and the only thing changing is your creatures (WITHOUT ANIMATIONS ON, just reminding you this) id say 6 is best.

WITH ANIMATIONS ON YOU'LL SEE STUFF LIKE THIS.

WITH ANIMATIONS OFF THIS IS ALL YOU SEE THE ENTIRE ROUND.

Sound:

The game has a pretty annoying Metalcore soundtrack which is disappointing and the voice acting for some of the cards is annoying but overall id say its about a 6, nothing to go into detail about.

FINAL VERDICT:

The Eye of Judgment is pretty much a game that will only appeal to one of three types of gamers. The CCG nerds, The Strategy Elite, and the MMO Junkies. Though this is not an MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online) by any means, it does require purchase of cards and expansions to play set 2, like an MMO and it is mainly Online based so that is why it would appeal to them, the other two are obvious if you read the review. Overall this game delivers hands down to who its aimed for, but i dont think its really going to win over many other people. But for 69.99 (39.99 some place) The game does come with the Playstation Eye, A Starter Deck, and a Booster pack (Id like to take this spot to note that 2 of the cards in the Starter deck are worth 20 bucks by themselves).

8.5 / 10
Phil0926

Re: The Eye of Judgment

Postby hippo99 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:12 am

good review :D
I PWN!!!!!
>:0
hippo99

Postby twistedblister » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:53 am

Nicely done Phil. I am a noob to card games. I never liked them untill i got hooked on the 360 Culdcept Saga game. Your explanations were done in a manner that are clear enough for non Card Gamers to understand. nice sumation on a dificult and oftren cryptic rule system. I am have never been much of a MMORPG player ( unless you count warhawk.) but i like the idea of no cheating and a supportive comunity. I know Gem, Kat and possibly a few others besides myself have been tempted by this game. hopefully you will have some more of us online playing soon. I am inbetween spots momentarilly currently and am keeping costs down but this is one of the games i want to buy.
MeatMonkeyMayhem

now i have no sig :-(
twistedblister

Postby Phil0926 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:15 pm

Well MMORPGs for the record, play nothing like this but the reason i compared is because they do require the constant dishing out of funds for subscription fees. This doesnt do that but you do have to buy cards and expansion patchs so your looking at spending money in both cases. But what you do get is like i stated a really tight nit online community. You can go to some of the sites people made that Sony has made official for the game.

http://www.lbshooters.com < I am on this one the most.

http://www.myeyeofjudgment.com < best place to go for news and what not

http://www.eojsuitcase.com < Great Java based deck making utility that doubles as a community site and has loads of members.

http://www.eojmanager.com < this is probably the most populated EoJ site, but its where most of the casual and new players go, if you want monthly League play and weekly Tournaments, you go to LBShooters
Phil0926

Postby Phil0926 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:20 pm

I would also like to point out that this destroys Culdcept in every aspect, but alot of players ive met did buy EoJ because they liked Culdcept so thats a good sign you will too.
Phil0926

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:19 pm

No his reviews are better than mine must make uber review.

Postby twistedblister » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:49 pm

Phil0926 wrote:I would also like to point out that this destroys Culdcept in every aspect, but alot of players ive met did buy EoJ because they liked Culdcept so thats a good sign you will too.

wow how funny. cool thanks.

about the reasoning in the other comment. Yeah i dont mind the card pack expansions and the playing mat / map and eye component. I think this is much greater value / less wide open door of monthly charges then tradiional MMORPG models which have monthly fees for access.

Heck i bought all the map packs for Warhwaks ASAP. i might have knocked over a few orphans and widows getting to the check out. So i am not adverse to add ons but there must be a limit.

some one else calmed my fears about the randomness of the card packs saying that unlike baseball cards you did know what you were buying. cool thanks for the comunity links.

I wont be picking this up untill i get some of my affairs in better order but do plan too soon. ha. culdecpt saga is cool becase i can play it by myself ( the cpu cheats sometimes ;-) ) but good to hear that the model is similar enough for previous fans to migrate happily
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby twistedblister » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:50 pm

its not a competition Kat. heck just post aobut one you are thinking about reviewing guys so you dont step on each others effots. way to go everyone wooot. :bnc:
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby cloud945076 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:46 pm

makes me wanna get it
cloud945076
Exotic Species

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:53 pm

Looks good. Just got payed 100 bucks what games

2 psp 1 ps3?
2 ps3?

Postby cloud945076 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:52 pm

any trips soon?
cloud945076
Exotic Species

Postby twistedblister » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:07 pm

the only thing out there right now i am interested in is this.

will work for games :shock:
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby cloud945076 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:16 pm

i have ap homework that needs to be done...
cloud945076
Exotic Species

Postby Phil0926 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:50 am

some one else calmed my fears about the randomness of the card packs saying that unlike baseball cards you did know what you were buying. cool thanks for the comunity links.

The actual booster packs are just like Baseball cards, they are random and just like how you described BUT there are Themed DECKS that all have same cards in them and actually the Set 1 theme decks all have useful Ultra rares in them that are going to be worth money, actually within months since they're out of print and will soon be out of stock.

BUT The Eye of Judgment isnt like most card games. The game is all about keeping your cards alive and using them strategically but without spending a lot of mana and to do that your going to need alot of COMMON cards. Thats why i love Eye of Judgment, the Common cards are the heart and soul of the game, without them your nothing. Ive seen online decks without a single Ultra Rare and like maybe 1 or 2 rares in them in the top 100.
Phil0926

Postby Phil0926 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:04 am

Ah Kat, dont feel intimidated by my reviews, if its any consolation you totally have the best avatar out of anyone
Phil0926

Postby twistedblister » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:23 am

Phil0926 wrote:

The actual booster packs are just like Baseball cards, they are random and just like how you described BUT there are Themed DECKS that all have same cards in them and actually the Set 1 theme decks all have useful Ultra rares in them that are going to be worth money, actually within months since they're out of print and will soon be out of stock.

BUT The Eye of Judgment isnt like most card games. The game is all about keeping your cards alive and using them strategically but without spending a lot of mana and to do that your going to need alot of COMMON cards. Thats why i love Eye of Judgment, the Common cards are the heart and soul of the game, without them your nothing. Ive seen online decks without a single Ultra Rare and like maybe 1 or 2 rares in them in the top 100.

ugh. ok hence the comunity support and trading network. i was supprised there would be such a hugh comunity if the buyer understood what cards were in ecah pack. dang. still prety cool game for card battle type game.s
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:23 pm

Phil0926 wrote:Ah Kat, dont feel intimidated by my reviews, if its any consolation you totally have the best avatar out of anyone

IDK you avatars is pretty funny for some reason. Intimidated me noooooo *rolls up in ball and cries in corner*

Re: The Eye of Judgment (PS3)

Postby twistedblister » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:37 pm

Ok two minor complaints and a word of warning

you can find it cheap at walmarts . look around and dont pay the 70 somthing sticker price i did .

ok the cards and the camera.

you need a big 2 X 2 or maybe 3 X 3 flat well lit space to place the map and deck and camera.

ok kind of a issue for people wiht space issues.

you need to buy random packs of cards or trade. again sort of a pain

CuldCept Saga. Is all software. so if you have a 360 you can find used onse for around 25 somthing US. and you dont need to redecorate to play.

that complaint aside. it seems cool took a little bit to understand but it makes perfect sense after watching the ridiculous simplified video guide

playing friends online could be very cool and i like the idea but its a hassle setting it up and man a DVD only would have been ncie.

Ok so my rating having played it. 9 for actual game paly
and 6 for hassle factor

probably 8 overall
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby gemroz » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:09 am

What the frigg!!! This is the first time i saw this thread! I had no idea some of you guys were getting it! So you have it TB? Do you like it? Should i buy it? Again... what the frigg... how did i miss this.
gemroz

Postby tekkentool » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:13 am

gah, ive been walking the tightrope of "should ii, should i not " for ages, my friend is a huge strategy buff (also god damn naturally atlented, he always pwns the crap out of me) i could play with him, and i want a playstation eye for LBP and singstar (don't judge me i want to sing :D) . sooo maybe, maybe.
sorry i can't brain today, i have the dumb
tekkentool

Postby twistedblister » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:21 am

Ha.

hey Gem, TT

if you do buy do a search for it though walmart and other stores. it sells discounted sometimes throgh them. DOnt pay full price like i did. doh. i missed one of our members post about it being on sale for like 30 bucks.

Ok it is cool but man its a hassle if you have space issues. the camera is usb wired so it has to be relitively close to the ps3 as well.

beyond that the having to buy cards and trade them to get ones you want instead of blind baseball silver package packs is a pain.

I like Culdcept saga better becase all the cards i need are software and the set up is only ether not physical. aslo i worry about not getting nacho cheese on the cards ( or somthinng simalar) and having to buy new cards. ugn.

so with all of that pain in the but stuff. i have to say i dug the mechanics slash style of the board and the startegy of playing the cards in one of the compas directions plus edges as barriers. it added a nice demension to the game. I do like it but it has some drawbacks.
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby cloud945076 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:33 am

Hah. Nacho Cheese
cloud945076
Exotic Species

Postby twistedblister » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:30 am

Man i used to love the fake nacho cheese we got at school it came in a huge generic can. mmmmmmmmmmm

any way gem Phils review is good and pretty accurate. I just have some qubiling issues. I guess if you had flesh friends ( yeah we all would like real friends ha. ) you could also play up to 4 people i think locally. it s also a neat thing that i can play anyone who has this online.

the set up can be a pain. but its still a good card game
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby tekkentool » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:33 pm

twistedblister wrote:Ha.

hey Gem, TT

if you do buy do a search for it though walmart and other stores. it sells discounted sometimes throgh them. DOnt pay full price like i did. doh. i missed one of our members post about it being on sale for like 30 bucks.

Ok it is cool but man its a hassle if you have space issues. the camera is usb wired so it has to be relitively close to the ps3 as well.

beyond that the having to buy cards and trade them to get ones you want instead of blind baseball silver package packs is a pain.

I like Culdcept saga better becase all the cards i need are software and the set up is only ether not physical. aslo i worry about not getting nacho cheese on the cards ( or somthinng simalar) and having to buy new cards. ugn.

so with all of that pain in the but stuff. i have to say i dug the mechanics slash style of the board and the startegy of playing the cards in one of the compas directions plus edges as barriers. it added a nice demension to the game. I do like it but it has some drawbacks.

we have no freaking best buys or walmart :'( only kmarts
sorry i can't brain today, i have the dumb
tekkentool

Postby fishki » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:01 am

they closed our Kmart, it was right beside WalMart
what suks is if walmart didnt have it kmart did
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent.....I never know what those fuckers are up to.
fishki
Site Admin

Next

Return to Reviews