Welcome - Please Login or Register !

:o

News and Rumors

PS3 outagte star date 4-23-11

Re: PS3 outagte star date 4-23-11

Postby Noodlez » Sun May 15, 2011 9:48 am

that map looked like the election map LOL...should be up for everyone at this point
Jesus Christ walks into a hotel, he hands the innkeeper 3 nails and he asks, "Can you put me up for the night?"
Noodlez
...on crack

Postby legendary-pirate » Sun May 15, 2011 11:52 am

Lol Fish, yeah I went to bed at 1:30am cst, I was so annoyed because it was taking forever. They were doing the central U.S. very last :-|
But all of the U.S. and Canada it looks like is now green. Yay!
legendary-pirate

Postby twistedblister » Mon May 16, 2011 9:15 am

I may give it a shot tonight or I might wait a couple of days. Sucks some of you are encountering issues

taptalk jugernaut
MeatMonkeyMayhem

now i have no sig :-(
twistedblister

Postby Drew » Mon May 16, 2011 10:47 am

so I bought at slim 160 yesterday. took like 4 hours to do the data transfer, forgot about all the music I had on there. but i didn't want to stop it once I started.

should have gone saturday and gotton the 320 while it was on sale. oh well.

I'm back up and running

psn drew5150 if anyone wants to add me.
Drew

Postby Noodlez » Mon May 16, 2011 7:49 pm

drew what are you currently playing??
Jesus Christ walks into a hotel, he hands the innkeeper 3 nails and he asks, "Can you put me up for the night?"
Noodlez
...on crack

Postby twistedblister » Tue May 17, 2011 6:53 am

Drew what did you use for the data transfer? Are there hel
p faqs online?
taptalk jugernaut
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby Drew » Tue May 17, 2011 10:47 am

Noodlez wrote:drew what are you currently playing??

well, kind of nothing. my ps3 has been down for at least 2 months and I have been battling ylod for a couple of years now. my ps3 got to the point where doing the heat gun fix would only last a couple of weeks. so over the last 6 months to a year it has been mostly warhawk on and off as other games seemed to stress my ps3 too much. fan on high all the time, warhawk would almost never make it run that hot.

sooo.. what I have that I would probably stick in:
warhawk
mag
battlfield 2
GT5

twistedblister wrote:Drew what did you use for the data transfer? Are there hel
p faqs online?
taptalk jugernaut

I used an ethernet cable. Yes, I found a guide only playstation forums for help. though it wasn't much help. it pretty much explains it on your ps3. but the faq helped with getting ready. it just said to sign in with each account and synch trophies as anything unsynched would not get transfered (I'm not entirely sure why or if that is accurate but I did it anyway) also any users without psn Id's would not tranfers trophies.

I made sure to copy all of my game saves to usb sticks before I started just in case. Turn off both ps3's, connect a direct link ethernet cable to both. you need them both plugged into your tv for video output, or connect one to a computer screen like I did. turn them both on. go to the setting column - system settings - data transfer. then it will give you instructions. it will tell you any accounts that did not have a trophy synch done, then it asks about any users without psn id's. and then the wait begins.

I really forgot about deleteing my music and any useless videos/photo's before I started. I never listen to music with it and just had forgotten I even had it on there. I wasn't sure if my old ps3 would stay on long enough to do the transfer. I figured it would be ok with no game load, but just in case I placed ice packs on top and near the air intakes.. lol. and about 4 hours later it was done :D

next time I would do a back up to an external hard drive if I had the choice. I even had one I could have used, its for my wifes computer but I'm sure I could have used it. oh well, I kinda wanted to try the data transfer. probably wouldn't have been so bad if I cleaned up my old one first.

my ps3 was a 40gb. I put in a 160gb after a few months of owner ship. I created a backup onto a usb stick 8gb, but first I deleted everything except game data, that worked out great.

oh crap, actually creating a back up onto an external drive or esb stick will not work for a new ps3. I remember I tried that once and it failed, back ups only work for a new hard drive on the same ps3. I think the data transfer is the only option for a new ps3.
Drew

Postby twistedblister » Tue May 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Wow thanks man. I was wondering if a. Crossover cable would help. I have an external Hd that won't be recognized when I have tried to back.up the drive. My ps3 locks up from time to time but I have not ylod

taptalk jugernraut
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby Drew » Tue May 17, 2011 8:14 pm

oh, I forgot the most important part. you need to sign into your main account and deactivate the system.

yeah, maybe your hard drive has the wrong file system? I have a 16gb flash drive that the ps3 wont read. I had to change its format so I could install large files on it.

I think all you really need are game saves and the ability to deactivate your system. I'm not sure what that really does, but I think its for the store. It may affect larger games like warhawk. everything else you can just redownload.

I just transfer my games saves onto my computer via usb.

the ability to do the data transfer was really nice tho... when it was done :pick:
Drew

Postby twistedblister » Tue May 17, 2011 10:11 pm

cool thanks for the advice drew. I am not in urgent need but those damn freezes just kill the experiance. nice to lose an hour of game time invested in character development. ooops. sounds like good old Microsoft word. save often kids. blue screen :-)

i would really love to be able to swap my existing drive into a new ps3.. my concern is that the housing wont mate. and maybe the drive and not the ps3 hardware is the issue. ugh. uncertaintiy is a pain.
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby Drew » Wed May 18, 2011 11:23 am

twistedblister wrote:i would really love to be able to swap my existing drive into a new ps3.. my concern is that the housing wont mate. and maybe the drive and not the ps3 hardware is the issue. ugh. uncertaintiy is a pain.

well it will physycally go into a new ps3 (actually can't say for 100% as i haven't looked into it). but the ps3 just uses a plain old laptop hard drive. it has its own mounting bracket just like any pc would so you would just have to swap out the brackets.

problem is that the hard drive is not just used as a storage drive. it is formatted to your specific ps3. so if you switch it out the system id will not match. and it will tell you that you have to format the drive for it to work. this is the same reason why you can not make a back up onto an external drive or flash stick and then restore it onto another ps3.

backing up your game saves or doing the data transfer are really your only options.
Drew

Postby twistedblister » Sun May 22, 2011 3:52 pm

Damnn that would have made me cry. thanks for preventing old man tears drew. ouch.

feel like i just dodged a bullet.
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby twistedblister » Mon May 30, 2011 9:01 pm

Drew wrote:
twistedblister wrote:i would really love to be able to swap my existing drive into a new ps3.. my concern is that the housing wont mate. and maybe the drive and not the ps3 hardware is the issue. ugh. uncertaintiy is a pain.

well it will physycally go into a new ps3 (actually can't say for 100% as i haven't looked into it). but the ps3 just uses a plain old laptop hard drive. it has its own mounting bracket just like any pc would so you would just have to swap out the brackets.

problem is that the hard drive is not just used as a storage drive. it is formatted to your specific ps3. so if you switch it out the system id will not match. and it will tell you that you have to format the drive for it to work. this is the same reason why you can not make a back up onto an external drive or flash stick and then restore it onto another ps3.

backing up your game saves or doing the data transfer are really your only options.

ugghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it happened drew. my ps3 died and i did not back up the game saves
:suicide:
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby Drew » Tue May 31, 2011 1:26 am

Oh noooo!

Let sit and get cool... a lot times they can turn back on.

Does it turn on beep yellow and shut off right away? If it comes back up grab a USB stick or turn it back off until you get one.

yes, its a phone
Drew

Postby gabrile23 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:33 am

[/quote]
ugghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it happened drew. my ps3 died and i did not back up the game saves
:suicide:[/quote]

sorry to hear about that TB. I hope you did'nt lose anything important.
I should probably upgrade and and back up my ps3. Its getting old.
gabrile23

Postby twistedblister » Tue May 31, 2011 12:45 pm

Thanks drew and Gabe.

Drew. It's stone cold. Tried to start it several times. Took out HD and reset it. There is no dust in grating by fans. When I power on in 3 seconds. Qick yellow flash then constant beeping red.

Ha Gabe it sucks we even have to think about that. Before the xbox360 and ps3 I never would have thought time to replace game box. Thanks for other link. I have made tiny headway I have a 2.5 external hd cradle that does show the Hd is good I just can't read it. Have more research to do

taptalk jugernaut
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Postby Drew » Tue May 31, 2011 8:01 pm

twistedblister wrote:Drew. It's stone cold. Tried to start it several times. Took out HD and reset it. There is no dust in grating by fans. When I power on in 3 seconds. Qick yellow flash then constant beeping red.
taptalk jugernaut

all is not lost...

you could send it to a reballing service or reflow the thing yourself. it kinda depends on if you want to just get a new slim. or if you want to try and pay for the reballing service.

I would not pay for someone to "reflow" your ps3 as that doesn't last all that long. but if you can work a screw driver and a heat gun, then you can do it yourself. if you decide to get a new slim then I recommend doing this so you can grab your data off of it. or if someone can do it on the cheap then maybe its worth paying for to get your data.

reballing is where they take your chip off the main board and put new balls solder on the pins and then melt it back onto the board. this sounds good but I have no experience with it. I've seen prices around 90$ for it. though more research on who to send to is needed.

150$ to sony for a rebuilt unit is a waste to me when a slim is 299 with 160gb and a new controller ;)

if you want to try to just get it running yourself search gilksy on youtube and follow his videos.. there are like 6 or 7 parts to the video. I would research the reball first though, unless you're ok with just getting a new system.
Drew

Postby twistedblister » Tue May 31, 2011 8:05 pm

THanks drew. check gabes post for my youtube replies. i thought that guy did a good job taking his appart and i wanted to sahre. its neet to see its insides. :-)

I have to find a FTP program that can read this damn drive. i can see the drive in disk managers in windows and Unbuntu but i cant read the damn thing. ugh.
MeatMonkeyMayhem

twistedblister

Previous

Return to News and Rumors