Welcome - Please Login or Register !

:o

Board index Playstation 3 Reviews

Reviews

Dead Space (PS3)

Dead Space (PS3)

Postby Phil0926 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:40 am

Intro:

Survival Horror is a genre that in recent times has well, been a little on the craptacular side. The new Silent Hill is a disappointment, and Siren Blood Curse while great was almost unplayable to most people due to its 8 gig PSN download, which is the only way you can get the game currently (in the US). Well the evil video game empire EA, announced Dead Space late 2007, and many of us if not damn near ALL of us gamer elite ( or so we like to call ourselves) laughed at it. Oh were we oh so wrong. You play Isaac, a veteran space miner whos sent with a small team of other Miners and engineers to a really big mining ship called the Ishimura because of a distress signal you got which was sent by your girlfriend. You get there and of course all hell breaks loose. The story in dead space is surprisingly very deep, has alot of unexpected twist and is just pure sinister in nature. Its fantastic but enough about the story lets get into the meat of the game.
Controls:

Dead Space controls exactly like RE4, Uncharted, Gearts of Wars etc, etc. Its a TPS over the shoulder camera. Nothing too revolutionary in the control aspect, but everything definitely works, and works very very well.

Gameplay:

This is what we all didnt expect. Dead Space gameplay borrows a lot from other games, but its melds them together so well in a fresh new way that it literally blows your mind. First lets start with whats new here. Forget HUD displays because there isnt any here, Isaacs health, ammo, and ability gauges are all displayed on your Armor and his menus are holograms that pop out from his chest, so yes the menus are actually part of the gameplay. All of this may sound gimmicky, but it adds to the overall atmosphere of the game and really makes you feel like your in Isaacs shoes. Since hes a space miner and not a badass marine, Isaac isnt going to be toting around any high powered rifles, instead all your "weapons" are mining equipment. Sure they work like guns in the sense the shoot projectiles and use cartridges but they arent guns and this is the other important aspect of gameplay. You have to dismember your enemies to kill them. Yes i mean tear their limbs off and if not theyll rush u and dismember you. The enemy AI is another amazing thing about dead space. The enemies also seem to do something different when u go to them even if its the same enemies and u just reloaded a checkpoint. For example one room i go in i see an enemy lying on the ground pretending to be dead i walk by it and it jumps up and rushes me. I redo the same scenario except this time he jumps up and runs in the the air vent right next to him, to come out behind me and decapitate me. Its this advanced AI that really makes u feel at a disadvantage and like your really a sole survivor on a ship whos probably going to die. One odd element for a survivor horror game is the ability to buy equipment and suits. This however doesnt detract from the Horror elements it actually adds to the Sci Fi elements. Isaac eventually gets the ability to freeze any item or enemy he see and pick up any item using Kinesis and launch it at enemies Half Life 2 style. Did i mention there were RPG upgrading elements to weapons? No? Well there are. During the game youl collect power nodes, which can be used at work benches to upgrade any of the games 8 weapons to your liking. And last but not least the game does have melee combat. By pressing R1 Isaac franticly swings his currently equipped weapin in struggle for his life and if your press R2 you can stomp on enemies( NOTE: when something dies in Dead Space, it stays dead and the game
allows u to stomp dead corpses and get your foot caught in it). And last but not least there are fantastic Zero Gravity areas in the game that, well have u jump and walking on walls in ceilings in Zero G. Oh btw you story buffs out there, the game has tons of audio and text logs you can collect to read and listen to to gain back story Metroid Prime style. Nuff Said, the gameplay kicks ass.

Graphics:

The game is simply breath taking to look at. From the lighting effects, to the detail in Isaacs armor and the aliens skin. The game is just simply beautiful. The only thing that stands out is that the human characters faces, are significantly less detailed than other parts of the game. But all in all its one of the best looking video games out there.

Sound:

This is the first time for me as a reviewer to say this but, the sound of Dead Space is the single most amazing part of the game, and given the sum of its parts, thats an incredibly impressive feat. From footsteps to, bottles and cups moving at your feet, to the faint groans of a dying human, to a distant growl of an alien, Dead Space sound is top notch and really adds atmosphere to the game more than any game i have played before. Also the voice acting is top notch.

FINAL VERDICT:

Dead Space is simply one of the best games to come out in the past 10 years, if not ever. It takes many aspects of older games and exceeds their performance 10 fold. The story is fantastic, it looks amazing, and its fun as hell to play. But warning if your easily disgusted by gore, or easily scared. DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME, its extremely gorey. Forget Manhunt and Manhunt 2, this game makes them look like something off of the Disney Channel, and its also only about 15 hours long but trust me, its definitely worth the trek. Dead Space is basically Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4 thrown together but surpasses both, and if that doesnt sell you, i dont know what will.

9.7/10

Phil0926

Re: Dead Space (PS3)

Postby jezzell19 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:23 pm

Nice review. :yeh:

I really liked the game as well... I'd prob have given it around an 8.5 ish (based upon my impressions that the missions/quest felt a little repetative... i.e. go find this thing, get attacked by monsters, etc.). As you mentioned, maybe some the best use of sound and atmosphere in a game (maybe ever).

For fans of the genre it's def. one of the best...
jezzell19

Postby twistedblister » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:25 pm

where you been phil. good review. yeah this game is on my list.

RFOM 2

then

LBP

then

DS jsut cause the other two have clan potential fun for u.s
MeatMonkeyMayhem

now i have no sig :-(
twistedblister

Postby TwistedSystem » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:39 pm

Im can get really freaked out by horror games (never by movies though) but I love this game with a passion. Its definetly the sleeper hit of the year, nothing comes close. I would have said Endwar was close but it wasn't really a sleeper.
TwistedSystem

Postby twistedblister » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:40 pm

TwistedSystem wrote:Im can get really freaked out by horror games (never by movies though) but I love this game with a passion. Its definetly the sleeper hit of the year, nothing comes close. I would have said Endwar was close but it wasn't really a sleeper.

this and silent hill are big on my wish list.

you know TS Fallout 3 has a nice charming creapy evil aspect to it. it wont scare you like some horror games but it can be unsettling.
MeatMonkeyMayhem

now i have no sig :-(
twistedblister

Postby cloud945076 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:00 am

I heard Silent Hill was rather dissapointing
cloud945076
Exotic Species

Postby TwistedSystem » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:12 am

Ya I basically 100%'d fallout 3. Never found it creepy though. I do have problems play dead space at night though. And I've never looked into Silent Hill so I couldn't help you cloud.
TwistedSystem

Postby hippo999 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:55 pm

TwistedSystem wrote:Ya I basically 100%'d fallout 3. Never found it creepy though. I do have problems play dead space at night though. And I've never looked into Silent Hill so I couldn't help you cloud.

I don't like scary games. :(
hippo999
Team Killer

Postby TwistedSystem » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:33 am

I know hip, you sent me several messages when I played fallout 3 that said SSSSSSSCCCCCCCAAAAAAARRRRRRYYYYYY. But thats ok, I can't play dead space at night unless theres people with me. Im fine during the day though.
TwistedSystem

Postby cloud945076 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:40 am

haha. nice
cloud945076
Exotic Species

Postby Noodlez » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:09 am

silent hill...omg....wat a freaking dissapointment!!!!!!! i freaking HATED THAT GAME!!!!!!...ive never played a silent hill that didnt scare me s#itless till homecomming...that was soooo gayyyyy...the best silent hill games are the 2nd game and the psp game....freaking TERRIFYING!!!!..specialy on the psp when i played at night in the corner of my bedroom with all the lights off....omg!!!!!...good times lol
Jesus Christ walks into a hotel, he hands the innkeeper 3 nails and he asks, "Can you put me up for the night?"
Noodlez
...on crack

Postby cloud945076 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:03 am

I knew it. :]
cloud945076
Exotic Species

Postby fishki » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:33 pm

TwistedSystem wrote:I can't play dead space at night unless theres people with me.

:rofl
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent.....I never know what those fuckers are up to.
fishki
Site Admin

Postby stickcult » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:59 pm

Now I haven't played Dead Space, but I played the demo. I don't know how much is different, but the demo, the aiming just seems to plain suck...
O.o

Ryan pwnd me.
stickcult
Riot Police

Postby fishki » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:41 pm

I almost bought this today
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent.....I never know what those fuckers are up to.
fishki
Site Admin

Postby Noodlez » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:04 pm

i freaking hated the demo...this game reeks of pure garbage.....this isnt even worthy of being called bioshock in space....this should be called...EA's failure of trying to rip off of bioshock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jesus Christ walks into a hotel, he hands the innkeeper 3 nails and he asks, "Can you put me up for the night?"
Noodlez
...on crack

Postby stickcult » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:04 am

Noodlez wrote:i freaking hated the demo...this game reeks of pure garbage.....this isnt even worthy of being called bioshock in space....this should be called...EA's failure of trying to rip off of bioshock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea, my feelings exactly.
O.o

Ryan pwnd me.
stickcult
Riot Police

Postby TwistedSystem » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:39 am

stickcult wrote:Now I haven't played Dead Space, but I played the demo. I don't know how much is different, but the demo, the aiming just seems to plain suck...

Dude the demo sucks, they put you in one area and have you kill a bunch of things, I don't understand why they did that as they somehow made the demo as far away from the actual game as you could. It even felt like they changed the genre. If your judging the game by the demo, just leave. Also after playing dead space, its nothing like bioshock and beats bioshock in every way.
TwistedSystem

Postby Noodlez » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:53 am

thats what my little brother said when i questioned his video game taste....we came to an agreement...ill play dead space if he plays bioshock...im pretty sure bioshock is still going to be the better game...unless dead space has something scarier than a big daddy..or something cooler than being able to control a big daddy...*sigh*...good times
Noodlez
...on crack

Postby TwistedSystem » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:55 am

Well if you thought a big daddy was scary, you might be in for a shock when you play dead space. Course im only on chapter 6 as I just bought Pince of Persia!!!!!
TwistedSystem

Postby Noodlez » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:58 am

i already beat prince of persia :)
Noodlez
...on crack

Postby hippo999 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:38 am

SCARRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hippo999
Team Killer

Postby cloud945076 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:35 pm

Bioshock seems better than Deadspace
cloud945076
Exotic Species

Postby TwistedSystem » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:06 pm

Have you played both? Bioshock was great on the 360 but its prolonged release on the ps3 made it a very weak game for those of you who have only played it on the ps3.
TwistedSystem

Postby cloud945076 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:14 pm

how does the prolonged release make it weaker? its still the same game
cloud945076
Exotic Species

Next

Return to Reviews